OK – In typical fashion, for many freelancers and creative types, my January is somewhat slow. I’m working on a bunch of ‘stuff’ and ‘things’ in the background here that will be manifesting themselves over this coming year. I am definitely looking forward to sharing those plans with you but I’m not quite ready to reveal anything yet. I can only say that it will involve music and collaborations with wonderful people. Stay tuned to Doublebates.com for those announcements. However, January is not over and there are two really big shows coming up very soon that I want you to know about.
I am so proud and happy that I get to play with Zacc, Pete, and Brandon on a regular basis. We’ve really carved out some fantastic territory over the history of the band and our musical connection keeps getting deeper. We’re excited to bust out a couple of older tunes for you this Saturday and see where those vehicles take us. Our 2020 plans are to play a little bit more frequently and to get out of town some too. Hopefully, that propels us into writing some new music and perhaps recording again? We will see. It all starts with a great evening of original music this coming Saturday at Studio Z! Please come join us!
I am so proud and happy that I get to play with Dean and Jay on a regular basis. We’ve really carved out some fantastic territory over the history of the band and our musical connection keeps getting deeper. 😉 The spirit of John Coltrane is ever-present in the fiber of Red Planet and last month we started playing several new songs associated with John along with some Motown and some Strayhorn. Stop on by and hear Red Planet this coming Monday – you’ll be glad you did!
I’m a really lucky person to be able to have multiple bands that I play in, all of which have strong concepts and deliver high caliber performances. The camaraderie we all share as musicians and audience is such a blessing and I just can’t thank all of you enough for supporting everything that I throw at you! See you soon – cb
- Upcoming shows that you might want to consider putting on your calendar: Tickets in links
- 1/30 Sam Miltich plays Gershwin @ Crooners Lounge (Jay Epstein, CB, Dave Karr)
- 2/1 Chris Bates Curates the Black Dog: Phil Hey Quartet w/ Chris Bates trio opening (Strachan, Hurtado)
- 2/5 Atlantis Quartet plays The Dakota
- 2/8 Laura Caviani Trio @ Studio Z (Dave Schmalenberger, CB)
- 2/10 Red Planet w/ Bill Carrothers @ Crooners Lounge
- 2/15 Chris Bates Curates the Black Dog: Davu Seru’s Motherless Dollar (CB trio opens)
- 2/22 Chris Bates Curates the Black Dog: JT Bates / Jeremy Ylvisaker / Mike Lewis (CB trio opens)